Nov. 30, 2011 ed.
Greetings from the Greater NY Chapter of USA Dance!
In this edition:
- New Year's Eve Party on Dec. 31
- MAC 2012 in Seven Weeks
- Big Apple DanceSport Challenge Live Stream
- Skufca and Torokgyorgy Teaching at Basic Ballroom
- Martha Estevez: Our Angel in the Corner
- Catching Up on October Comps
- Reminders of Upcoming Events
- Looking to Improve Your Dancing?
- Looking to Social Dance?
- Looking for a Partner?
Hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday. With November coming to an end and the last month of 2011 right around the corner that can only mean ... time for the NY USA Dance New Year's Eve Gala. We will once again be holding it on December 31 at Manhattan Ballroom Dance studio. More details to follow. In the meantime, please save the date, and make plans to ring in 2012 with your friends at NY USA Dance!
- Competitors: Registration deadline is December 31. That means you must be entered and paid up by that date -- whether you are registering on-line or mailing in your entries. Please register now; avoid late fees. MAC is once again a National Qualifying Event. Don't miss this chance to qualify at Nationals by dancing in one of the country's biggest and best DanceSport competitions.
- Spectators: Advanced sales of tickets to all sessions is now open. We strongly suggest that you buy tickets for the highly popular Friday night and Saturday night championships now. VIP seating on the stage and Reserved Seating are also available; advanced purchase for those options is also recommended. On-line payment will close on January 10. Mail-in payments must be received by January 6.
- Need a hotel room? We secured a rate of $149/night at the New Yorker, right around the block from the Manhattan Center. The rate is only available if you book by December 28. Book now and save money. Check http://bit.ly/mac2012hotel for the code and additional lodging options.
Keep in mind also that we have added an extra session on Friday, and the first session will start at 11:00 am. Adult syllabus smooth and rhythm will be danced in that first session, as well as adult novice smooth and rhythm. We will also be running Senior I, II and III standard and latin during that first session. Check the tentative schedule to see the preliminary line-up for all five sessions. This information is subject to change based on actual entries received.
Also, be reminded of some important rules changes for 2012:
- Coaches' passes: http://bit.ly/mac2012coachpass
- New photography policy will be in effect: http://bit.ly/mac2012photopolicy
- Qualifying for 2012 Nationals: http://bit.ly/mac2012regrules
Questions? Comments? Send them to email@example.com.
We are looking forward to another great MAC. Hope you can be a part of it!
The final deadline for the 5th Annual Big Apple DanceSport Challenge at Columbia University was Monday, November 28. Nearly 800 dancers have registered, and if you are competitor, you can no longer register on-line but you can try your luck on-site.
If you want to catch the action as a spectator but you can't make it up to Lerner Hall on the campus of Columbia University, then you can watch from the comfort of your computer, laptop, iPad or anywhere else you can a good internet connection. Big Apple DanceSport will be livestreaming. Here's the link to the live feed: http://bit.ly/badc_livefeed. If you click at any other time than Dec. 3 and 4, you'll get an "Offline" screen but if you click on the link over the weekend, you are sure to see many lively dancing couples. Tune in! Or better yet, come watch in person.
Spectators can attend for free during the regular competitive events. Admission will be charged for the showcase featuring World Professional Latin Finalists Andrej Skufca and Melinda Torokgyorgy. Tickets are going fast for the show so if you want to buy your tickets, do so now on-line at http://bit.ly/badc_showtix.
It should be a great weekend filled with terrific dancing. Hope to see you there!
As noted above, the show couple at the 5th annual Big Apple DanceSport Challenge are World Professional Latin Finalists Andrej Skufca and Melinda Torokgyorgy. If you would like to take lessons with these world class dancers while they are in New York City, then you need go no further than Basic Ballroom, where they will be available for coaching on December 1 and 2, and possibly December 3 also. The cost will be $170 for 45 minutes. Interested in booking a lesson? Contact Paul Richardson at 713-320-2119.
You may have seen Martha Estevez on the dance floor with her partner Bob Blank, whether locally in area studios or actively competing all around the country in open latin and standard. You may know them as Senior II Champions in Latin and 10-Dance. But did you know that Martha is also our "Angel in the Corner"? If you have dance wear to donate, get in touch with Martha. She knows plenty of high school and collegiate dancers who would greatly benefit from shoes or practice clothes that you no longer need. Right now, Martha has a few pairs of shoes and some practice wear pieces that she can give away. College and high school dancers: To find out if these items would fit you, get in touch with Martha at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would rather give than receive, find out how you can donate items to Martha by visiting the Dance World/Daily website at this link and checking out the "Angel in the Corner" section on the upper right-hand corner of the page (right below the counter).
Thanks for all your great work, Martha, and thanks for being our "Angel in the Corner."
Because of my busy schedule this month and last, I wasn't able to mention timely the two wonderful competitions in October that I got to attend as Master of Ceremonies. I will briefly talk about them here:
- Kudos to Wayne and Marie Crowder and the Carolina Heartland Chapter on the successful running of the Carolina Fall Classic from October 7 through 9, in Greensboro, North Carolina. I got to see some wonderful dancers competing at all levels from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. It all went by in a flash; must be because we were having a terrific time, made all the better by the abundant Southern hospitality on display throughout the busy but enjoyable weekend. Here are my photos from Friday night, Saturday daytime, Saturday evening and Sunday. I have already saved the dates for next year's CFC: October 5-7, 2012. If you haven't … well, then, may I humbly suggest that you do?
- From CFC I went to CDC – which stands for Cornell DanceSport Classic, in case you were wondering. It took place on October 15 in Ithaca, New York, and was the 15th annual running of this event which traditionally kicks off the collegiate season (although credit for that this year went to the Princeton Ballroom Dance Competition which occurred the week before). The energetic collegiate spirit was in full swing (and tango and cha cha and foxtrot and … well, you get the idea). The competition ran from morning until evening and was capped by championship events at night, topped off by some wonderful performances by former USA Dance National standard champions Ronen Zinshtein and Mariam Izmaylova and junior dancers Dennis Matveev and Valeria Dubinsky. Here are my photos from Saturday morning, afternoon and evening. Congratulations to the Cornell DanceSport team for putting on such a great event!
- From our good friends at Brooklyn DanceSport Club we learn that former world latin champion (amateur and pro) Franco Formica will be coming to BDSC to give lectures, seminars and private lessons from December 4 through 6. BDSC tells us that this is the first time that Franco Formica is doing this in New York and space is limited, so you should register now. Find out more at http://bit.ly/formica_bdsc.
- If you missed the first USA Dance National Dance Cruise last year, now’s your chance to take part in the second annual USA Dance National Dance Cruise, taking place from December 4 through 11, 2011. Here’s more from the National Ballroom Dance Cruise website.
- The 22nd Annual Manhattan Amateur Classic takes place from January 13-15, 2012, at the Grand Ballroom of the Manhattan Center. Registration is now open. Questions? Send them to email@example.com. Save the dates! Hope to see you there.
- USA Dance National DanceSport Championships takes place on March 30 through April 1, 2012, at the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland. On-line registration closes on March 6.
- “Dance Legends” is coming to the Hammerstein Ballroom at the Manhattan Center next April. It will be a two-day event set to take place on April 13 and 14, 2012, and it will feature past and present champions in ballroom and latin, performing in multiple showcases. Tickets are due to go on sale in a month, on September 1. To learn more, visit the website or follow Dance Legends on Facebook or Twitter.
- At Brooklyn DanceSport Club, Maria and Eugene will be teaching Open Junior/Youth Seminars on Mondays from 7:00 to 8:30 pm, and Open Adult Seminars on Tuesdays from 7:00 to 8:30 pm. They will also hold regular run-through Latin rounds on Tuesdays from 8:30 to 10:00 pm and Thursdays from 8:00 to 9:30 pm. Blackpool Professional Rising Star Ballroom Champions Marat Gimaev and Alina Basyuk have now joined the studio as Directors of the Ballroom Department and they will be teaching the Open Standard Seminar on Wednesdays at 7 PM, starting July 6th. They will also run regular Standard Run-through Practices on Wednesdays at 8:30 PM and on Fridays at 7 PM. The studio is easily accessible by subway, via the N train, 18 Avenue stop. From there, it’s a short walk to the studio.
- Stepping Out holds an International Standard and American Smooth Practice session on Tuesdays from 9:30 to 10:30 pm, and the cost is just $3 per person or $5 per couple. On Saturdays, they hold a Standard pratice session from 5 pm to 6 pm, at the same cost. Just show the front desk your USA Dance membership card to take advantage of these great rates, and ask them what other USA Dance discounts are available for their other programs and events.
- Become the best ballroom dancer you can be for your partner by working on yourself first. ISTD Fellow Michael Choi shows you how with his Ballroom Barre, at Chelsea Studios, every Wednesday, starting at 8:30 pm. Just $25 per person for USA Dance members. The classes are non-sequential so drop in any time; no partner required, all levels welcome. For more information, contact Michael at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Manhattan Ballroom Dance studio runs Standard rounds on Thursday , from 9:30 to 10:30 pm and Latin Rounds on Friday nights from 8:30 to 9:30 pm. NOTE: This information may be out of date. Call the studio to check current times.
- Basic Ballroom holds a Competition Run-through Class supervised by former World Professional Latin finalists Paul and Olga Richardson on Friday nights from 8 pm to 9:30 pm. Just $20 for USA Dance members.
- Check out the special rates for USA Dance members at Basic Ballroom: just $79 for a 10 session card and $90 for their unlimited monthly card.
- DanceSport offers a $100 monthly floor fee card for amateur dancers: Unlimited practice space Monday to Friday 10 am to 5 pm, Saturdays 10 am to 2 pm, and Sundays 11 am to 7 pm for 30 days.
- Dance with Me Soho can no longer host practice sessions on weekdays due to space constraints. Dancers are welcome to practice on weekends for $15 per hour per couple. Also, you may want to try their practice parties on Wednesdays at 9:20 to 10:10 pm (salsa theme) and Thursdays same time that covers all styles.
Here are some suggestions:
- Thursday, Dec. 1, Dance Times Square Social. Free latin group class at 8 pm, followed by a social from 9 pm to 11 pm. Admission is $10 per person but free if you bring a friend or if you are new to the studio. For more info call the studio at 212-994-9500.
- Thursday, Dec. 1, Thursday Night Dance Club at Mirelle's, in Westbury, featuring Latin, Hustle and West Coast Swing. Lesson at 7:30 pm, dancing starts at 8:15 pm. Admission just $10 per person for USA Dance members (present your card at the entrance to get the discount).
- Friday, Dec. 2, Hot Salsa Friday at the VIP Lounge at the Iguana. Doors open at 6 pm.
- Saturday, Dec. 3, mixed ballroom dancing at Manhattan Ballroom Dance studio, starting at 7:30 pm with a free lesson, dancing from 8:00 pm to midnight.
- Sunday, Dec. 4, Sunday Tea Party at Manhattan Ballroom Dance, mixed ballroom dancing starting at 3 pm.
- Monday, Dec. 5, Salsa at Taj, with live band and special performances. Arrive before 7 pm and get in for $6 (admission price doubles after 7 pm).
- Tuesday, Dec. 6, mixed ballroom dancing at the Saloon, on York Ave., between 83rd and 84th street, from 8 pm (free lesson at 7:30 pm).
- Tuesday, Dec. 6, Hot Club 56 in Farmingdale with DJ Cody. Doors open and dancing starts at 7 pm, lessons begin at 7:30 pm. This week's lesson: Salsa. Just $10 for USA Dance members (present your card)!
If you are looking for a partner, use our Partner Search page to let others know. It's free, it's easy. Do it today!
That does it for this week. See you at the Big Apple DanceSport Challenge!
(NY USA Dance)
General disclaimer: Please note that, other than events organized by NY USA Dance, the listing of events in this newsletter is purely for informational purposes and does not carry with it any endorsement, sanction or seal of approval, express or implied. If you have any questions about an event other than one organized by NY USA Dance, you should direct them to the organizer of that event. NY USA Dance has no control over any of the events listed herein, other than those events which NY USA Dance itself organizes. NY USA Dance bears no responsibility for the content, conduct, quality, management or operation of any of the events listed in this newsletter, other than those events organized directly by NY USA Dance.